Skip to main content

Mendoza Police Arrest Man in Connection to Tourist Murder

By | [email protected] | April 30, 2014 9:36pm

Share

As the Mendoza police continues to look for clues that may lead to solving the tragic murder of 31-year-old Nicholas Heyward, police chief Juan Carlos Caleri said today that one person had been arrested in connection to the crime after a series of raids carried out last night.

According to the Buenos Aires Herald:

“There were raids today and we have detained one person in connection to the crime” of Nicholas Heyward, provincial Police Chief Juan Carlos Caleri told the Herald.

“At this stage I cannot give further details, though we may be able to release more information tomorrow,” he added. “The person is being treated as a suspect.”

The murder of Heyward – a tourist from New Zealand – in broad daylight has caused concern among the Mendoza population, especially since Mendoza is one of Argentina’s top picks for foreign visitors.

The case has resonated all the way up in the political chain and has prompted governor Francisco Pérez to announce that next week he would send a bill to the provincial legislature looking to make it mandatory for any second motorcycle rider to wear a vest and helmet that clearly displays the vehicle license plate.

Nicholas Heyward was visiting the General San Martín park in Mendoza last Monday when he was jumped by two men on a motorcycle who tried to take the pack he was carrying. A brief struggle occurred and Heyward fell to the ground, where one of the robbers shot him in four times between the neck and the waist.

He died at the scene.

(Featured Photo via Infobae)