The NGO Argentina Debate yesterday confirmed that Victory Front (FpV) presidential candidate Daniel Scioli will definitely not be attending the first-ever Argentine presidential debate on Sunday. So Scioli took it upon himself to reiterate why he won’t show.
“My program is clear, the rest is bullshit.”
“I gave an hour-long address at the Opera in front of all sorts of leaders and they weren’t just Peronists,” he told radio Con Vos, going on to explain that “people know full well” what his policies and opinions are and this election shouldn’t be a question of who battles it out more forcefully.
It should be about the political position and the policies that each candidate upholds, he concluded.
Here’s a quick re-cap of what’s happened so far:
- Scioli announced his decision not to debate.
- Scioli was taunted and coaxed up to the lectern by opponent Mauricio Macri who stated that he’ll be there “no matter what.”
- Scioli was accused by opposition candidates of refusing to attend because Cristina told him not to.
So with Scioli confident about his policies and political stance, the debate will go ahead on Sunday with five instead of six — Cambiemos’ Mauricio Macri, A New Alternative’s (UNA) Sergio Massa, Leftist Workers Front’s (FIT) Nicolás Del Caño, Alliance for Federal Commitment’s Adolfo Rodríguez Saá and Progressive Front’s Margarita Stolbizer — all of whom requested that an empty lectern be present so that Scioli can “pay the price of not debating.”