Estela de Carlotto, President of the Abuelas de Plaza de Mayo organization, made some damning comments against Macri and his administration yesterday. “If we managed with Videla, we’ll manage with Macri,” said the human rights activist, causing a fair amount of controversy at the comparison between the current president and the brutal dictator of Argentina during its last dictatorship, Videla.
Carlotto criticized the military procession celebrating the 25th of May last week, calling it an “embarrassment.” Of the Armed Forces themselves, Carlotto said: “You have to have respect for the new generations of the Armed Forces, although they need to have the necessary democratic education. But there are always some that get in [in this case, into the procession] who intended to stage a coup.”
She was making reference to the Carapintadas (painted faces), a group of mutineers in the Argentine army who took part in different uprisings between 1987 and 1990 and took part in the procession to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Argentine declaration of independence, last July 9.
These remarks came yesterday before Carlotto received the Bernardo de Monteagudo medal in the Tucumán Legislature Building. She made her feelings known on the subject of Argentina’s leadership, and the current controversy over the procedural benefit known as Two For One policy, which led to the early release of Luis Muiña, who was convicted for crimes against humanity.
Carlotto stated: “The current government [administration] is against what we have built, even during the dictatorship, when we began fighting, looking for our children, consulting the Judiciary that wasn’t such, running the risk of being murdered or kidnapped.
“They went backwards, in every respect. We can’t allow what is already written, done, tried and tested to be deleted at the stroke of a pen and history to repeat itself. What was done over those years was an example for the whole world, where they had trials to discover the truth when there were impunity laws.”
“But now this government is sending [war criminals] home because they are old, but they are very dangerous, bad people, because they committed crimes against humanity and they don’t deserve any kind of privileges or benefits. They’ve already sent over 300 back to their homes; we’re going to see if we can turn that around,” she finished.