The CGT umbrella union is holding a massive march today in the City of Buenos Aires along with other cities in the country in protest against the Macri administration’s economic policies, which they claim are hurting the working class. The march has garnered support from several community organizations and political parties, and its impact is expected to be significant. At least in terms of disrupting traffic.
Each one of the unions that will take part in the protest will march from their Buenos Aires headquarters to the Ministry of Production, located on Paseo Colón 189. In the afternoon, the march will make its way to the intersection of Diagonal Sur and Belgrano, where union leaders will deliver speeches and list their demands to the Macri administration. They are also expected to announce a general strike, the first one since the government took office.
The unions involved with public transportation announced that services will work normally today. But considering the number of people that are already flooding the streets of Centro and the amount of intersections they will block, getting around on anything other than by foot will be almost impossible.
Representatives of the City government announced 400 traffic officers will be assigned to the area in an attempt to smooth out circulation, even a little. Here’s a breakdown of the main intersections that will be blocked, so you know what places and routes to avoid if you have to venture into Centro today.
Marches and Blockades
- Complete blockade at the intersection of Antártida Argentina and Letonia from 8 AM.
- Complete blockade at the intersection of Julio Argentino Roca (Diagonal Sur) and Adolfo Alsina from 10 AM.
- Complete blockade at the intersection of Sarmiento and Reconquista. It’s expected that protesters will march to Lavalle, between Paraná and Uruguay.
- ATE State Workers will stage a complete blockade at the intersection of Paseo Colón and Belgrano. They will later march to Hipólito Yrigoyen between Balcarce y Paseo Colón.
- Community organization Barrios de Pie will stage a complete blockade of the Pueyrredón bridge from noon.
- Complete blockade at the intersection of Av. de Mayo and 9 de Julio from 1 PM on.
- Complete blockade at the intersection of Av. de Mayo and Salta from 1 PM.
- Complete Blockade at the intersection of 9 de Julio and Chile start at 2 PM.