Having spent just over a week in intensive care, 5-year-old Tobías could be given the all-clear by doctors as of tomorrow, after being stung on the neck by a scorpion while he slept in his home in the Buenos Aires neighborhood of Palermo.

According to the boy’s father, Gastón Nuñez – who claims both he and his wife were also stung – the scorpion’s venom affected the boy’s heart and caused four cardiorespiratory attacks, leaving him in a critical condition.

This comes just a week after two young girls, aged four and seven, died within the same week in Cordoba due to scorpion stings.

“My son started to feel like something had bitten him and vomited. We immediately took him to the health center where they confirmed the presence of scorpion venom […] Last Monday they told us that there was nothing more they could do, they told me that they had done all they could. Tobías was in critical condition. But after midday on Tuesday he made an improvement.” told Gastón.

Tobías is now ‘lucid’ and has made remarkable improvements; leading doctors to state that he is very likely to pull through and make a good recovery.

However, despite hopeful promises, Gastón states that no one has come to fumigate his house and therefore feels that they are not safe to return home. “we are constantly putting our lives at risk. We need someone to fumigate the house and to help us find somewhere to live in the meantime because can’t afford to live somewhere else and I can’t go back to my house.”

At the beginning of the year, the Ministry of Health released a notice as to how to identify and eradicate the presence of scorpions at home. They advised that people should take care not to walk around barefoot in scorpion-prone areas as well as examining drawers, shelves and repairing any cracks in floors, walls and ceilings.

If stung, apply ice and seek immediate medical attention. If possible, also bring along the scorpion in order to identify the type of venom.

For full advice upon finding a scorpion in the house, click here.